1. What is big data?
This is a marketing and technical term that represents a new approach to understand the world in a business perspective. It’s based on a model built from large amounts of correlated data and analyzed with statistical creativity to reveal business decisions driving towards:
• Product development
• Operational improvements
• Marketing strategy
• Customer loyalty
• Market demand predictions
2. When should I invest on it?
When a defined line of business exists with a return on investment driven, often you would have in mind customer relationship, sales and improvements as your main goal.
Make sure your big data plan includes:
• Identified valuable opportunities in your business
• Establish the right architecture and how it goes to be financed
• Use less expensive pilot programs to improve value to business
• Scale up with additional use cases
• Immerse the organization in data driven culture
3. Who should I call?
Whoever you call; person, company, friend, university or scientists; what you need is a colleague willing to work every day understanding your business and aligning the technology to your company vision, revealing amazing news.
Keep in mind firms and experts in the following domains:
• Tech stuff such as machine learning, data scientists, statistics, predictive analysis, high power parallelism, data as a service, columns oriented database, schema-less databases, NoSQL database, and MapReduce.
• Platforms like Hadoop, Hive, Pig, WibiData, Platfora, R Language